Board books are perfect for young readers. They’re durable, fun and short (so you can read them over and over again)! Here are our top ten favourites!
10. That’s not my Kitten, Fiona Watts – There are so many books in the That’s not my series, you’re sure to find one that suits your child. From dragons to sheep to puppies, these touch-and-feel books provide wonderful tactile stimulation while your little one listens to the simple story.
9. Alphablock, Christopher Franceschelli, illustrated by Peskimo – This book is so visually interesting, it’s sure to appeal to you and your child. It’s a trip through the alphabet that’s unlike any other you’ve ever seen.
8. Please, Mr. Panda, Steve Antony – What’s more fun than a grumpy panda who only shares donuts with animals who say please? This story is sweeter than a dozen donuts.
7. Hippos Go Berserk, Sandra Boynton – One hippo is feeling lonely, and so she throws a giant party for all her friends. But what happens when the party is over and the hippos have to go home?
6. Goodnight Gorilla, Peggy Rathmann – This is a simple book with lovely, peaceful art. It’s the perfect before-bedtime read. Be sure to keep an eye on the red balloon – it follows you throughout the story!
5. Oh, No George, Chris Haughton – George is a dog who tries SO hard to be good. The problem is that the world is filled with tempting things. When George’s owner goes out, he manages to get into every kind of trouble imaginable!
4. Perfect Piggies, Sandra Boynton – Piggies are just adorable, and the rhythmic rhymes of this book are sure to get stuck in your head forever!
3. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, Bill Martin Jr., John Archambault, Illustrated by Lois Ehlert – This book is real earworm of a poem with a strong beat. It’s a fabulous introduction to the alphabet and so much fun for kids and adults alike.
2. Goodnight Moon, Margaret Wise Brown –This book has delighted children for generations, and it’s no wonder why. The language is serene and the pictures are sweet. It’s a wonderful bedtime story.
1. The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Eric Carle – This book is a much-beloved classic. In the story, we follow a small caterpillar as he eats his way through the week and becomes a much larger caterpillar and then finally transforms into a butterfly. Part fiction, part non-fiction, this book is a perfect bedtime story.